Thursday, November 12, 2020

Bound - NaNoWriMo2020 11/12

 “Nevermind that.” Madrona brushed off Kassadi’s inquery, gesturing towards the road they had just sprinted from. “What was that about? Is there something you haven’t told me, is someone after you?”

“What, no!” Kassadi shouted, a shocked expression crossing her face, she paused, thinking. “Well, maybe… But they wouldn’t have sent a hellhound after me that’s for sure!”

“Excuse me?” Madrona frowned, closing the distance between herself and Kassadi. “Someone is after you!”

“No!” Kassadi said defensively. “I mean I don’t know if they are!”

“Who?” Madrona demanded, anger creeping across her face.

“My parents!” Kassadi finally shouted, her own anger flaring now. “Okay? My parents didn’t want me to become an adventurer!” She huffed and crossed her arms, turning her back to Madrona. “Would have preferred I stayed at the school, that prison.” She was keeping the edge of anger in her voice, but Madrona could hear the woman sniffle gently.

“Ah…” Madrona was slightly taken now. “School? The one where you learned to become a Wizard?”

“Yeah.” Kassadi dropped, it was a swift and sudden movement, sitting herself cross legged in the middle of the road. Madrona felt it unwise to stop here, the Hellhound was likely back on it’s hunt by now, but Kassadi seemed intent on speaking her peace. “The Seven Circles Academy.” Madrona was shocked.

“You went to the Seven Circle Academy?” She had heard of it, some Arcane School to the East. It was a prestigious school. “That’s impressive. “

“Yeah it gets better.” Kassadi was still sitting in the dirt, now pushing a loose pebble along the ground.” My folks are members of the Order of the Seven Circles, Arch-Magi and two of the founders of the school. So of course when they have a daughter they think ‘Oh we should have her join the school!’ Nevermind the fact I was a child.”

“You didn’t want to be a Wizard?” Madrona broached, lips pursing.

“What?” Kassadi turned her head over the shoulder, before spinning on the ground to face Madrona, looking up to the woman. “No I love being a Wizard! What I resent is my life being dictated for me! They wanted me to stay on after graduation, become part of the staff at the school… Pass on what I had been given to the next generation.” Kassadi rolled her eyes. “Like yeah that’s nice but that’s not what I wanted!” Madrona nodded. “I had spent the first twenty three years of my life stuck in a school surroused by moldy books and dusty old scholars! I wanted to see the world.” Kassadi collapsed back, looking up at the sky. “When I graduated, because I was the kid of two Archmagi of the Order, I was given a chance to address my class and all the staff and the entirety of the Order. Was supposed to give a speech declaring my intent to stay on and be part of the staff.” Kassadi huffed, glancing at Madrona. “They wrote my speech!” She rested her head back again. “I got up to the podium in my formal Wizard Robes, took one look at the assembly… and shouted ‘I’m going to be an adventurer!’” Kassadi giggled at her own antics, but then sighed. “Haven’t spoken to my parents since.

“That’s… Very sad.” Madrona said, kneeling beside the woman. “So you think your parents might be searching for you, but not likely with a Hellhound.”

“Yep.” Kassadi said, still staring up.

“Fair enough.” Madrona stated, standing slowly. “Come on, we have to keep moving. Our furry friend won’t need much time to get back onto our scent. Kassadi nodded and shifted back to her feet so they could continue on.

No comments:

Post a Comment