Sunday, November 10, 2019

Fight or Flight - NaNoWriMo2019 11/10


The feast went on, food was had, many drinks were poured, and the encounter with Krek was forgotten. Annice found herself smiling so much that her face began to stain and ache, and she never wanted it to end. To be surrounded by  such personalities was fascinating, each fighter had a story to tell and she was a rapt and attentive audience.
“Bloodclaw had me cornered, their fangs dripping with a foul and poisonous ichor. “Elenra stated, one foot up on the table, the other on their chair. The gathered audience, save Annice, had heard this story what must have been a dozen times over, but they all listened, never tired of a good story. “I was very nearly out of spells and my weapon had already been snapped in half by the very jaws that saught to do the same to me. A stub of a blade at best, but a stub was better than nothing.” They gestured wildly into the air with one arm, mimicking a sword thrust. “So taking that stub I readied myself and when the foul wyrm lurched forward I leapt into the ait and plunged my broken blade into it’s eye!” The gasp of Annice was heard and a few people chuckled in amusement, but Elenra continued on. “Its poisoned blood splashed over my hands and face, the pain was immense. But the pain was the least of my worries. The foul beasts poison numbed my hands and digits, and I had a spell to cast before the creature turned.” Her hands now hung limp on at their wrist in a display of uselessness, before clenching into fists. “I forced my finger to work together o complete the somatic gestures, and as the Bloodclaw turned to me I called out the Power Word and launched a bolt of lightning into the hilt of my weapon, the blade still dug into the bastards eye! Its body quaked and spasmed. And Bloodclaw the Wyvern was no more.” Elenra smiled as the gathered applauded, hollars, and banged their goblets against the table.
Once most of the food was eaten the tables were largely abandoned, for eating at least. Half a dozen matches of arm wrestling broke out, one game of Black Dragon Red Dragon, and as a resting place for feet and elbows as a few entered into casual conversation. The main attraction now was the dance floor and performers. Drunk gladiators hooted at each other as they spun around the dance floor or hooted at the performers, who were masters if only because they were able to preform their craft with such a drunken rowdy crowd. Annice was still at the tables, having a conversation with Kuran about the Cleansing War when a hand came into view, looking up she found Wilhelm attached to that hand.
“You ain’t truly experienced a Feast of champions if you haven’t danced. May I?” He had one arm tucked behind his back, the other still extended, palm open.
“Oh I don’t know, no one needs to see that. “ She started waving her hand, but Kuran bumped her with an elbow.
“Go, sister, enjoy yourself. We will not laugh at you, too loudly at least.” Kuran smiled. “I will give you more stories of glory later, the night is young!”
Annice shrugged and took Wilhelm’s hand, being lead to the dance floor. She stood, awkwardly, before him giggling at herself. He smiled and took her other hand, leading her into the dance. The song was lively, with fast violins and lively flutes. Wilhelm and Annice spun around the floor, rhythmically matched and laughing to themselves as they did. The dance was fast, bouncing, and the two crashed into each other, grasping at each others torso to stay on their feet more than one, and most importantly it was fun. As the music came to a close the two panted, and held each other’s shoulders to keep from collapsing, both tittering with giggles and laughter like children. They stumbled slightly as they walked from the dance floor and returned to their seats, Kuran softly clapping for them.
“Gods damn Annice you sure can dance.” Wilhelm said, reaching for a goblet and pitcher to pour another drink.
“I don’t know about that, I felt like I was mostly flailing about.” She responded, fanning herself and tugging at the material of her robes, now clinging to her form.
“Very entertaining Wilhelm, when do I get a dance?” Kuran asked, leaning over to the two. Wilhelm chuckled.
“Only if you lead.” He aid, slouching deeper into his chair.
“Of course, I always lead.” She grinned. Wilhelm waved his hand.
“Later, yer old pal Wilhelm’s gotta find where his legs went off to first, yeah?”
“Mm, Wilhelm the Unyielding indeed.” Kuran said. The half-orc turned and found herself staring at Elena.
“Actually, I was wondering if I might have a dance with you, Kuran.” They said, the elf reaching out a hand. Kuran raised her brow, but took the hand.
“No tricks this time.” She said, standing. “I will be back for you Wilhelm, you are on my list. Wilhelm waved and nodded.
This left Wilhelm and Annice alone at the far end of the table. They watched the revelry for a few moments in silence, but soon Wilhelm sat up, straightening himself.
“Any further thoughts on my offer?” He asked, turning to the Hala-Elf.
“Many, but still undecided. I don’t know, as far as I know it is not forbidden by my order, but it is not highly looked upon. The High Priestess would never allow it.”
“You gotta do everythin your High Priestess tells ya?” Wilhelm asked, genuinely curious,
“Well, as long as I’m a Novice Cleric I do, once my Ceremony is complete I would be given the autonomy to do as I please, as long as Syrene still smiles upon me.” Annice took a goblet and poured a long drink, she was now thinking of how much trouble she was in.
“Whens yer ceremony then?” Wilhelm asked, he tilted his head when she shrugged.
“When Syrene makes it known that I am her chosen.” She pulled heavy from the goblet and turned to Wilhelm, noting his confusion. “What?”
“Ain’t you already chosen? Kinda figured that’s how it worked what with all the gifts of magic from the gods and all.” The man leaned back in his chair.
“I mean, I was chosen by Syrene when I came to join the church, and her influence guided me to the path of the Cleric yes, but I am not yet a Chosen. A Chosen of Syrene is simply a Cleric or a Paladin who is given the blessing by Syrene herself to enforce her will and sped her message of peace.” Annice smiled. “She truly cares about us, I’ve heard of other Clerics and Paladins who don’t have such a strong perosnal connection with their Deity. Syrene is a smaller Goddess, not like Bal the Light Bringer or Tess the Lady of Love. Syrene may have fewer followers, but she wants us all to know she loves us. I’m afraid, though, I may be besmirching that love with my action this day.”
“Ah phooey to that. If she was mad at ya would she let ya heal me up right and good? “ Wilhelm asked, as if that was some sort of revelatory statement,
“Healing you is one thing, Wilhelm, Syrene would never let an innocent suffer to punish one of her faithful, but a Cleric of Syrene becoming the Healer for a Gladiator? I don’t think it’s ever been done.”
“No it has.” A voice came into the conversation. Annice and Wilhelm both turned to stare at Elenra’s Cleric, the faithful of Verkal. Dorn was his name, and he carried a plate of food, obviously intent on seconds.
“Wait, what?” Annice sat up in her chair, andleaned over Wilhelm to get closer to Dorn. “You’re saying there’s another Faithful of Syrene who actas as the healer to a gladiator? And they are a Chosen?”
“I mean, yeah?” Dorn said casually. “Yeah they heal for, um, Rezzik Doomslayer. Fights in the eastern lands, towards Vellah. Great healer.” Dorn paused. “Okay fighter. I mean Doomslayer? Sheesh.”
This was news to Annice, who felt that her actions were some clear violation of Syrene’s will. But if she allowed for a Chosen to work for a Gladiator… ANnice let out a visable sigh of relief. She wasn’t betraying her faith. Though thatdid not mean Nim would see it the same way. She glanced at Wilhelm. You mentioned ‘on the road. ‘ What does that mean?”
“Well,” Wilhelm started, “I don’t exactly stay in the Sapphire Coast, much as I love the place. I like participatin in Exhibitions just fine, but the pay ain’t exactly grand. Naw I gotta keep myself mobile, travel all over for proper tournaments that pay out to the winners.” He shiften in his chair as he spoke, turning to face her more properly as he explained. “The most of us do it that way. It’s more profitable and it keeps your name out there amongst the people, which is absolutely key in this business.”
“I see, so we would be traveling together.” Annice stated.
“Yep, most Tournaments require a healer. Not too difficult to hire one from the local Healin House if you’re in a city, but then not every place has got Clerics, and not everypace got themselves healin houses. But it goes beyond that. It’s one thing to have someone heal you after a fight, it’s another entirely to have someone who knows how to heal you up right. A fighter and healer develop a bond, and there ain’t no replacing that.”
“And… you want me, to fill that role?” Annice’s cheeks flushed and she felt that it was all too hot suddenly. The way he spoke of it, it seemed an honor.
“Well, yeah. Someone who puts themselves on the line like you did… You say you ain’t breakin no rules, but yer certainly gonna get hell if this all gets back to your Temple, that I know. I want someone like that on my team, spots open if you want it.” Wilhelm smiled softly, and it was all Annice could do not to shout yes that moment. Instead she let out a breath.
“You make a stong argument Wilhelm. I will have to say, however, that I am still unable to commit. When can I give you my answer?”
“Well,” Wilhelm nodded, respecting her answer. “I have that meetin with Mareen tomorrow morning, first thing I said, so tellyou what. Half on the hour before sunrise, you meet me at the Magistrate in the center of the city, you can give me your answer there. If you don’t show, I’ll know your answer and it won’t be any hard feelings.”
“Okay Wilhelm, I will have your answer by then.” She smiled to the man, it was a tempting offer she could not deny that. Annice turned as Kuran approached.
“Wilhelm, you have had enough of a break, stop being a lazy bum and dance with me!” She cried out, Elenra hanging off her arm and laughing,
“Yeah yeah. Champions work is never done.” Wilhelm stood and took Kuran’s hand and they both left for the dance floor, leaving Elenra and Annice alone. The Elf looked at the Half-Elf, and offered their hand. Annice smiled and took it, and they too went off to the dance floor.
Annice stumbled onto the grounds of the Temple, which sat at the tip of the northern most cresent of the Cove that the city surrounded. She was groggy and more than a little out of sorts. She had imbibed perhaps a little more drink than she should have, and putting one foot in front of the other was a concerted effort. Wilhelm accompanied her, insistent on making sure she arrived safely home. Though the act was kind, it was somewhat moot as the man’s level of inebriation was not far from the Half-Elven Cleric. They leaned into each other for support more often then not, and as they approached the temple they could look inland and see the entire city circling the cove. It was quite a sight.
“I love this view, I’m sure to miss it.” Annice stated, “If I chose to join you, that is.” She was quick to add.
“The Sapphire Coloseum gives out some of the best prize pots in the western realm, we’d be back plenty. Couldn’t really resist this city myself though, almost home.” Wilhelm looked over the city, he could see the towering Colosseum across the water, settled ay the southern cusp of the crecent. “Now I’m sure you can make it the rest of the way in and I’m sure you ain’t gonna get in any less trouble if they see me around, so this is where I leave you, Annice.” He took her hand, gave it a little squeeze, and kissed it. “A pleasure workin with you. You’re one of the most skilled healers I ever been treated by.”
Annice smiled and nodded to him. “It was a pleasure, Wilhelm. Thank you.” She wavered a bit, but found her footing and headed for the temple.
The temple was a simple building, but ornately beautiful. The land had been carefully tended to, swaying grass and bushes framed a building covered with vines and budding flowers. The path to the temple was cobbled stone covered in soft moss flanked on each side by trees which all bore different fruits, she reached up and plucked a bundle of berries from one of the branches, smiling as she popped them into her mouth. The temples central chamber was an indoor pond, or more specifically a pond that had been made to be indoors. The pond was a holy site for the followers of Syrene, a body of water would not normally be found at the top of a cove, but the Lady of the Grove had blessed this land, and in her wake left behind a glade atop the rocky cliffs. Her followers tended this land, keeping the holy power strong, and blessing every ship that set sail from the cove a peaceful and tranquil journey. It was known as Syrene’s Gift.
Annice was in sorts that she had completely forgotten she was even in trouble. She sat at the pond and looked up through the open ceiling at the stars. While eating her berries she said a soft prayer to Syrene, thanking her for the wonderful day she had experienced. She was truly grateful to her Goddess’ blessing, and asked if she was doing anything that went against Syrene’s will. Annice sat for a moment in silence, when a brilliance from the pond drew her attention. There was always a shimmer of holy light to the water, but this was different, a glow from the entire pond. Annice’s eyes widened as the water started to ripple and churn… Her heart raced, this was an ill omen. Annice stood, staring at the pond, and through the roiling water thought she could see something. The berries dropped from her hand, and she covered her mouth in shock. It was Wilhelm, she was sure of it. The image was distorted and warped, but that had to be him. He was… He was dead. Laying on the ground, blood tricking from nose and mouth. The visage was gruesome in it’s depiction, the man’s face battered, and a gashing wound over the man’s eye. Annice was in a panic.
Protect Him.
Annice spun, she heard the words, but could not understand from where. Her brow furrowed and her hand found her holy symbol. She shivered as she felt the metal was warm. Syrene. Syrene has spoken to her? Wanted her to protect Wilhelm? Damn that drink, she couldn’t think straight. Her mind reeled, and… the next thing she remembered was waking up? Annice awoke in her bed, sitting upright in a start. She gasped and cried out, and then realized where she was. Confusion filled her for a moment, was that just a dream. She turned her head and saw Nim, sitting in a chair beside the bed, a deep set frown on her face. Annice whimpered, and that is when the hangover made itself known.
“Novice Qileth you are something, I will tell you.” The older gnome woman stated sharply. “Not only do I find you attending those fights, not only do you not come see me when you returned as I stated you should, not only do the Initiates find you sleeping in front of Syrene’s Gift, but now I’m hearing that you actually participated in that Tournement?” She stood on the chair as Annice sat up with a groan to keep eyelevel. “Is that all correct?”
“I fell asleep at the Gift?” Annice asked, rubbing her head. “I don’t… I don’t remember doing that.”
“I imagine not.” Nim said haughtily. “Had a bit of drink, did you?”
“Wine flows most free in a people at peace.” Annice stared, and winced as the words finished in her mouth.
“Do not quote scripture to me, child.” Nim stated, eyes narrowing. “You and I will speak, now.”
“Can I have some water first?” Annice’s brow furrowed into one of discomfort. Her head was pounding and she had not yet asked Syrene for her gifts of magic yet, and could not simply cure her own hangover.
Nim tapped her foot, but she was not a cruel woman. She nodded, and hopped off the chair. She walked to the end table and took a glass and pitcher already set there and poured a crisp and clean glass of water, handing it to the still dazed Annice. The Half-Elf took the glass to their lips and drank deep, leaning their head back as she finished the glass, extending the glass for another pour.
“Slowly child, you’ll make yourself ill.” Nim said with greater kindness in her voice, pouring another glass.
Annice nodded and sipped at the water this time. The coolness was agreeable and it was already waking her. She took a breath, feeling not so much revitalized, but on the path to it at least. She stood up and pulled at her underclothes, loosening the wraps and fetching fresh robes from the chest at the foot of her bed.
“I’ll meet you in your chambers in ten minutes, High Priestess, I promise.” She said, laying the robes on her bed, and taking up a fresh washing cloth from where the chambermaid laid them out in the mornings. “But first I’d like to wash up, if that is alright with you?”
Nim sighed, but nodded.

No comments:

Post a Comment