Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Fight or Flight - NaNoWriMo2019 11/12


Annice approched Wilhelm at the Magistrate as they had discussed, the large man was peering over the crowd as she approached and nearly turned to enter without her. Annice raised her hand and let out a call. The man’s gaze snapped to her and he seemed visibly pleased at the sight. He waved to her, and she rushed a little to meet him, out of breath as she arrived.
“Sorry I’m… late.” She stated between breaths. “The High Priestess asked to speak with me when I woke this morning.”
“Gave you a proper jawin for cavortin with us gladiators?” Wilhelm asked, apologetically.
“No, actually. She gave me her blessing to accompany you on your journeys.” She smiled. “I am happy to say that I have accepted your offer, Wilhelm. I will be your Healer.”
“Well ain’t that a delightful thing to hear in the morning!” Wilhelm exclaimed, reaching his hand out to her in offer of a shake. Annice paused, but eventually took the hand, grinning.
“30 percent.” She looked at the man, waiting for his response. Wilhelm raised a brow, but nodded with a smile
“I think that is agreeable.” He said, finally shaking the hand. “You’ll go far in this business. Now come on, Mareen’s head is probably about to fly off in a rage to search the city for me by now.”
The two entered the Magistrate, being expected they were quickly ushered to a back office. The offical there opened the door and as they entered the joyous mood they had just a few moments ago was quickly sapped away. The room was, to a point, dreary. They were surrounded by stone walls with sparse decoration and little in the way of lighting, one sconce and a fireplace that was nothing but burning embers. The unfriendly room, clearly an interrogation chamber hastily converted into an office for the General’s use boasted one two pieces of furniture, a large and quite elegantly crafted desk with maps and scrolls scattered along it’s top, and a chair with a familiar cape draped across the arm and a familiar woman seated.
“You’re late, Wilhelm.” Mareen stated cooly. “You promised me morning and the noon sun has almost passed.”
“Well then technically it is still morn-“ Wilhelm started, but Mareen was having none of it.
“First. Thing.” She snapped. “You told me first thing, the morning is now gone, and I am in no mood for your games, Wilhelm. I put my trust in you, I thought you were one of the few men left I could do that. Was I wrong?”
“No, Mareen.” Wilhelm sighed. “You can trust me. I apologize, I drank a little too heavy at the feast last night, when I finally had my head together I needed to conduct some business I had planned before I coming to see you. A personal obligation, needed myself a new healer. Maureen please meet Annice Qileth Cleric of Syrene, recently contracted under me.” Mareen’s eyes snapped to Annice, and Annice gave a small wave.
“Hi.” The Cleric said.
“Okay.” Mareen let out a long breath. “Porter.” She addressed the man who had brought the two in, still at the door. The poor boy snapped to attention, saluting, it was comical as the kid held no actual rank. “One, put your hand down, and two go fetch a pair if chairs for my guests.” The boy droped his arm ridgidly to his side, and rushed off to find chairs.
Soon they were all seated, Mareen leaned back in her chair and stared between the two of them. The silence was aggressive and unwelcome. Annice did everything she could to resist the urge to ap her foot, and Wilhelm sat back into a creaking chair, crossing his arms over his chest.
“Mareen you’re gonna have to eventually tell us why you brought us here.” He said, finally breaking the silence.
“Wilhelm what I’m about to share with you is something I cannot share with just anyone and by Balt if the wrong person hears…” She paused. “It could mean war in the Enclave.”
“Three Hells, Maureen, why didn’t you tell me this sooner? Had me doin song and dance around you for days now.” Wilhelm said, sitting up. There hadn’t been war in the Enclave in over two centuries.
“Because I shouldn’t even be telling you. If it gets out that the Spear knows these maniacs might launch their plans early. They’re not ready, they likely couldn’t win at the moment, but it would still mean the deaths of thousands… tens of thousands, even. I have every anti-scrying spell the Spear mages have ever heard on on this room right now, the gods themselves would have difficulty seeing us.”
“What maniacs? Who could possibly put such a fright into the Vibrant Spear?” Wilhelm aced, looking actually worried now.
“The Supremacy.”
“Criminal syndicate?” Wilhelm asked.
“No, social movement.” Mareen stated. She stood up and handed Wilhelm and ANnice some papers. “They’re a Human Centrist movement.” The parchment in Wilhelm and Annice’s hand was some sort of flier inviting people to a speech to be read at a tavern in Yortun, a town in the Enclave to the north. “They have some… Strong beliefs about Humans being the raced most favored by the gods. Think Humans should be allowed to have their own nation.”
“Humans have their own nations though?” Annice interjected. Dozens of Kingdoms, Principalities, and Councils across the realm.” She furrowed her brow, the entire message made no sense. “Humans are, well, everywhere? I’d wager there are more Human lead nations than any other of the Primal Five peoples.
“They’d disagree with you. They argue that while the Elves have their own forrests to themselves and the Dwaves have their mountains, that humans have to share their lands with the others. And they don’t think highly of them others either.”
“How so?” Annice asked.
“With backhanded compliments. Elves they’re most kind to, saying they are a worthwhile people with great many talents, but lack the ambition that Human’s do o truly lead great nations. Dwarves they’re less kind about, saying that they are skilled miners and smiths but that their as hard as the mountains they lack the kindness and compassion to raise up a truly noble people.” Mareen physically blanched at that, as if speaking the words herself was revolting. Annice agreed that it was.
“Horse shit.” Wilhelm exclaimed bluntly. “I was raised by Dwarves and they’re some of the kindest most loving caregivers this rotten world has ever had. And I’ve met Elves with more ambition in their big to then most men got in their entire useless carcasses.”
“I wasn’t agreeing with them Wilhelm, just stating what they believe. It’s what makes them so dangerous. They coach what they say in platitudes and coded language. They never outright state that one of the Primal are lesser than Humans, but it’s always clear that they believe Humans are superior.” Mareena sat back down.
“So take em out if they’re so dangerous.” Wilhelm said.
“We can’t. Wilhelm you don’t understand, they are everywhere. They have been at this for some time, we only in the past few months got wind of them. If we attempt to take out any of them, we’re looking at a retaliation that would come across the entire Enclave. That’s what they do, they bolster their numbers, seed them into a nation, and when the moment is right they attack. No one sees it coming, no one can defend from it. By the time a military can be called… they are already in control.”
“How do you know this?” Wilhelm said, quirking a brow.
“They’ve already done it once.” Mareen said grimly. “The southern tip of the continent, past the Wild Lands, the nation of Gleth. It was a trial run, somewhere they could test themselves.”
Gleth was a small land, newly formed in the last generation or so. It sat as a peninsula at the southern tip of the world and inaccessible by land. The entire land boarder was overed in a fey wild forest, woodland touched by the Fae, dangerous on it’s own. But in the first age of magic a Wizard attempted to tap the land, seeking to draw the wild Fae Magic into themselves. Their failure tainted the land, corrupted it, and making it nearly impossible for mortals to traverse. Some seventy years passed sailors anchored on the penninsula for a spell and made a startling discovery.
“They… took Gleth?” Wilhelm said, the color draining from his face.
“What?” Annice sat up, noting Wilhelm’s discomfort. “What does that mean?”
“What happened in Gleth, Mareen? Wilhelm asked.
“Slaughter. Any non Human on the peninsula was killed. The majority of the SUpremecy ‘believed’ they would simply be asked to leave, but when the killing started nobody seemed too concerned with that.” Mareen spoke flatly, coldly, stating the facts and nothing more. It was all she could do not to choke up. “Even the Elves, Dwarves, and Halflings that worked for their cause.”
“So they have the…” Wilhelm asked.
“What, they have the what?” Annice asked, annoyed at being out of the loop.
“Yes. They have the Vorpal mines.” Mareen said.
“Oh… Oh.” Annice sat back in her chair, a sudden weakness in her form. Even she knew what Vorpal was. The strongest metal in the realms, easy to smelt, easier to smith. Any form of magic wether Divine or Arcane could be attuned through it. The weapons made from Vorpal were called God Killers. “That’s bad.”
“To put it lightly.” Mareen said, steeping her fingers together in front of her face.
“Alright, what you want me for, how’s this something you can’t get one of your own doin?” Wilhelm asked, leaning forward in his chair.
“I’ll be straight, Wilhelm, I don’t know who in my ranks I can trust.” Mareen said.
“You can’t be serious.” Wilhelm’s brow raised at this.
“I’m afraid so. I have reason to believe that the Spear has been infiltrated by the Supremacy. If I keep this in house, it will likely get leaked, and same result. A war that tears the Enclave apart.”
“I feel like I’m going to be sick.” Annice leaned over her chair, and held her hand to her mouth.
“This is why I need you, Wilhelm. I know your past, I know they would never in a million years have recruited you.” Mareen’s word were a whisper. “At least I hope they haven’t”
“Damn spit they haven’t. If I had encountered them I tell you I’d be walked away in chains and they wouldn’t be walking.” Wilhelm’s fists clenched, he was getting angry.
“Good to her, I’m going to need you to pack that away, cause I need you to join them.” Mareen leaned forward as she spoke.
“Excuse me?” Wilhelm looked like he just had the wind knocked out of him.
“Yes, join them.” Mareen repeated.
“And why on the Mountain God’s bald head would I join these scum?” Wilhelm’s anger was returning, but now it was directed at a friend.
“Because I need information, Wilhelm. I do not know how many people are with the Supremacy. But I know how to find out. They keep a list on a scroll, magic. Impossible to find if you don’t have it in front of you. It contains the name of every member of the Supremacy, signed when they prove themselves and are taken in to the inner circle proper. I need that list, it will have the names of any Valiant Spear member they have, as well as I imagine several members of the Enclave Senators. With it I can make strategic strikes against core members, bring the Supremacy into the light and force the roaches to scatter, preventing a war.”

No comments:

Post a Comment