Monday, November 11, 2019

Fight or Flight - NaNoWriMo2019 11/11


Nim and Annice faced each other, both kneeling on the floor. Between themwas a bowl filled with holy water from Syrene’s Gift. Annice fidgeted slightly, like a child caught stealing sweets. What she had done wasn’t technically against the rules but she was obviously on thin ice. While in her mind she did nothing to slight Syrene, Nim was the High Priestess, given grace from Syrene to run it in her honor, and how she saw fit. Annice suddenly felt a swell of anxiety, would they throw her out? Excommunicate her? No that wasn’t fair, all she did was watch a fight! How could they!?
“Calm yourself, child, we have not even started yet.” NIm stated, noticing Annice’s increasing agitation.
“Sorry High Priestess.” ANnice took a breath and calmed herself. Nim was a kind woman, stern, but certainly not one to throw out someone for a minor infraction.
“So, tell me about the fights.” Nim started.
“Well…” Annoce sighed. “I started going some five months now. At first it was just a curiosity. I wanted to know how violence like that could ever be entertaining. Then the next time it was to reaffirm my findings… then I stopped trying to justify myself and started enjoying it.”
“And what do you enjoy about it?” Nim prodded, not placing any judgment on the Half-Elf.
“Well I would be lying if I said the fights themselves weren’t thrilling. The battles are pitched and have a flow to them, a rhythm, like watching two people dance. But it’s less the violence and more the… feats of skill. The gladiators are all so very talented, like artists. They play to the crowd, drive them up it’s all so much theater but more primal. And the physique of the men in combat are…” Annice trailed off, Nim quirking a brow at her. The Church of Syrene did not have any vows of celibacy, but this was probably not the time. “Sorry. Most of all, Nim, is once a fight is done a wave of elation comes, a sense of release, and then so much peace. To sit in the stands after a battle, a play of fighters, finishes. To let the cool air wash over your hot skin. I have never felt so peaceful in that moment, so close to Syrene.”
“Mm.” Nim nodded “Peace after conflict is often the most sweet. That does not change what came before that, strife and hatred.”
“None of that exists in these shows.” Annice insisted. “I spent time with these gladiators, they’re all friends. Their fights are sport, they challenge each other to do better and cheer each other when they do!”
“Yes, I heard that you spent time with them, you offered your service as a Cleric?” Nim quirked a brow.
“Uh… yes. Wilhelm, I mean Wilhelm the Unyielding’s healer had abdicated their position. I felt this was unfair as he had earned his position. I offered my abilities.” Annice shifted her gaze away from Nim. “He also offered me the job on a permanent basis, should I choose.
“Excuse me?” Nim was taken aback. “I hardly think-“
“And before you tell me I can’t I learned that a Cleric of Syrene, a Chosen, is already acting as the Healer to another Gladiator in the East. I hardly think Syrene would let one of her Chosen participate in these events if they weren’t a sign of a people in peace.” Annice shrunk back, noting Nim’s deepset frown.
“What Syrene allows of her chosen is quite a difference to what this High Priestess will allow from her Novice.” Nim’s tone was not as kind as it was previously, and Annice bowed her head. “Do you plan to accept this offer? We value freedom, I cannot stop you if you if you do.”
“I wasn’t sure I would, to be honest High Priestess.” Annice stated softly. “To participate in a moment of necessity, to correct a slight on an honorable man is one thing. But to join him? I was going to say no. But now I feel I must go, High Priestess. And with your blessing!” Annice’s voice regained it’s vigor and she looked up at the gnome woman.
“My blessing?” Nim balked. “I don’t see how I could possibly grant that Annice. How you show your faith is between you and Syrene, but then so is my own and these fights go against how I show my faith.” She furrowed her brow. “How could I give my blessing, child?”
“Syrene gave me a vision last night. At the Gift.” Annice stated, hesitantly. She was unsure how Nim would react, hells she was still unsure if it was a true vision or a dream brought on by too much drink.
“A vision?” Nim’s eyes were wide. She waved her hand over the holy water between them and it shown a brilliant white. “Tell me what you saw.”
“I saw the gladiator Wilhelm. He was… broken. He was covered in blood and many wounds. And he was dead.” Annice started, struggling to recall the image, the memory of the sight unpleasant. “Then I heard a voice, Syrene I’m sure of it.”
“What did she say, Annice?” Nim said, she trailed her fingers over the water in a circle the white light opening into a circlet around the rim of the bowl. She stared down at water.
“Protect him.” She repeated the words she heard, and a shiver ran up her spine. Nim was silent for a long moment, peering into the holy water.
“I cannot divine your vision.” She eventually said. “What Syrene said, she meant for you.” Nim looked up, a sudden concern in her eyes. “Your Ceremony.”
“Then I must go, I must protect Wilhelm!” Annice insisted.
“Child, calm yourself. Syrene may be showing you visions of what were to become if you said yes You must be careful in your consideration.
Annice paused, could that be it? If she were to go with Wilhelm, would that lead to his death, and maybe even her own? No, no that couldn’t be it. Syrene would never hinge a Chosen’s Ceremony on the death of another… Would she?
“I…” Annice started, taking a breath and resolving herself. “No. I believe Syrene is asking me to protect this man. I will go with him, Nim.” She pursed her lips, staring at the old woman.
“Then you have my blessing, Novice Qileth. Pray that you have Syrene’s as well.” Nim stood up and embraced Annice, hugging her tightly around the neck. “You stay safe child, or you’ll give me even more wrinkles. Annice burst into a half chuckle, half sob and returned the embrace. Nim pulled away after a moment. “You are either a foolish girl… or perhaps Syrene has great plans for you.” She smiles. “I’m betting on the latter. Now! You are still a Novice until you complete your Ceremony, so you’re not getting away from me that easy!” Nim hopped down and hurried over to a chest.
Nim lifted the lid and actually needed to hop over the lip of the chest, feet dangling in the air. Some unkindly words escaped her at that moment, words one might not normally hear from the High Priestess of ta Goddess’ Temple. But after a few moments of words more at home on a sailors vessel than a church, the Gnome came back to her feet and handed a hand mirror to Annice. It was intricate in design, a polished onyx frame with silver embroidery. It was remarkably beautiful.
“This is a Mirror Of Far Speech. I have the matching twin and will carry it with me for as long as you are gone from us. At any time you need guidance or wisdom, call the power word ‘Home’ into it and you will be able to speak with me.” She smiles, and placed her hand on Annice’s.
“Oh, Nim. Thank you so much.” Annice smiles widely and leaned in to hug the woman again. “You have given me so much over these years. I’m… I’m afraid to leave.” She trembled slightly.
“Nonsense, Child. You are brave and you will come to know that. You’re just going to miss this old Gmome. It’s alright. I’ll never be more than a word away.”
“Thank you.” Annice sniffled, and stood. “This is the path Syrene has put me on, I know that.”
“I will be thrilled to see you proven right, Annice. Now, go pack. You have a ruffian to save.” Nim smiled, and held back her tears as Annice left the chamber. “Syrene, you will protect that girl, or you will lose a High Priestess this I swear.”

No comments:

Post a Comment